Edmentum™ Study Island is an interactive learning platform where students in grades k-12 can strengthen their knowledge and skills in language arts, math, science, and social studies.
How Study Island Works
First, the student takes a diagnostic test to determine prior knowledge and isolate any learning gaps.
Then, the student focuses on a topic through an engaging, user-friendly lesson, including videos.
Next, the student practices what they have just learned by choosing from practice mode, game mode, or a printable worksheet.
Finally, mastery is shown on the student’s progress map.
What Makes Study Island Effective?
- Student-paced Learning Students work through Study Island lessons and activities at their own pace, ideal for students who require extra time as well as for students looking to excel.
- Interactive Learning Multi-media presentations and regular interaction with the learning platform keep students engaged.
- Immediate Feedback Real-time assessment means students can quickly see what they got right and learn from any mistakes. As a result, students are motivated.
- Mastery-based Learning The ultimate goal of Study Island is mastery of content and skills. Students do not move forward after simply “covering” a topic; they move forward after showing mastery of the topic.
- Individualized Instruction Initial diagnostic testing generates a lesson list tailored to the student’s specific learning needs. Essentially the program becomes a one-on-one personalized learning experience.
- Progress Monitoring Both teacher and student can see at a glance what topics have been mastered and where extra practice is needed, enabling the student to take ownership of their learning and ensuring teachers of learning progress.
- Study Island is an excellent option for –
- Learning Gaps Study Island can help students catch up if they are behind or address concepts and skills they may have missed previously.
- Gifted Students Working at a pace matched to their ability is a great benefit to students needing a challenge.
- Curriculum Supplement Providing extra instruction and practice is an ideal complement to regular instruction.
- Learning Reinforcement Practice! Practice! Practice! We call it learning reinforcement but with a variety of activities and games, students call it FUN!