Edmentum™ Study Island is an interactive learning platform where students in grades k-12 can strengthen their knowledge and skills in language arts, math, science, and social studies.
How Study Island Works
Study Island features an easy-to-follow four step process:
- Student completes a diagnostic test to determine prior knowledge and isolate any learning gaps.
- Student focuses on specific topics through an engaging, user-friendly lesson, including videos.
- Student practices what they have learned in steps 1 and 2 by choosing from practice mode, game mode or a printable worksheet.
- Each student’s progress map is updated to show topic mastery and progress.
Finally, mastery is shown on the student’s progress map.
What Makes Study Island Effective?
- Student-paced Learning: Students work through Study Island lessons and activities at their own pace. Ideal for students who require extra time as well as for students who want to excel.
- Interactive Learning: Multi-media presentations and regular interaction with the learning platform keep students engaged.
- Immediate Feedback: Real-time assessment means students are more motivated because they can quickly see what they got right and learn from their own mistakes.
- Mastery-based Learning: The ultimate goal of Study Island is mastery of content and skills. Students do not move forward after simply “covering” a topic; they move forward after showing mastery of the topic.
- Individualized Instruction: Initial diagnostic testing generates a lesson list tailored to the student’s specific learning needs. Essentially the program becomes a one-on-one personalized learning experience.
- Progress Monitoring: Both teacher and student can see at a glance what topics have been mastered and where extra practice is needed, enabling the student to take ownership of their learning and ensuring teachers of learning progress.
- Study Island is an excellent option for –
- Learning Gaps: Study Island can help students catch up if they are behind or address concepts and skills they may have previously missed.
- Gifted Students: Students looking for more challenging work are able to proceed at a pace matched to their individual abilities.
- Curriculum Supplement: Providing extra instruction and practice is an ideal complement to regular instruction.
- Learning Reinforcement: Practice! Practice! Practice! We call it learning reinforcement but with a variety of activities and games, students call it FUN!
Try It Month-to-Month
No Contracts, No Registration Fees!
See if Online Homeschooling is Right for Your Student.